TYPOGRAPHY FINAL COMPILATION AND REFLECTION


5th April 2019 - 5th July 2019 ( week 1 - week 14 )
Ahmed Baahy Suhail (0333925)
Typography
Final Compilation and Reflection




INSTRUCTIONS

Exercises
Project 1 - Text Formatting and Expression
Project 2 - Font Design
Final Project - Expression, Hierarchy and Composition



SUBMISSIONS

Exercises


Fig 1.1: Digitized font ( Caring )


Fig 1.2: Animated version of name ( Caring )


Fig 1.3: Type Expression ( six verbs )


Fig 1.4: Animated Type Expression GIF ( Freeze )




Project 1- Text Formatting and Expression


Fig 2.1: Final Magazine  Layout


PDF of Final Magazine Layout



Project 2- Font Design

Fig 3.1: All 15 letters

Fig 3.2: Final Composition of Bab Serif font 


PDF of  Final Composition


PDF of Font Information



Final Project- Expression, Hierarchy and Composition

Fig 4.1:  Final Outcome of "puff puff POOF" poster


PDF of Final Outcome

Fig 4.2:  Animated "puff, puff, POOF"  poster  GIF             



REFLECTION

Experience

I thought I was ready to tackle on any obstacle at the start of semester but I guess I still underestimated how difficult it would be. I was challenged in ways beyond what I was prepared for and not once did I think of giving up entirely, so I'm proud of that. There were countless times I felt like I was not good enough nor did not reach expectations but as time went on, I gradually improved by learning how to be critical of myself. I learnt how to work in an uncomfortable environment where I felt intimidated in the first couple of weeks and these moments were my lowest. I would say my lowest point would be during project one where I struggled a lot and stayed up one whole night to make drafts but the feedback I received dragged me down to a point I have rarely felt and I found myself just overwhelmed and unable to control my feelings. I would say this was the decisive moment that really helped me turn things around as I was able to identify my mistakes and realized more effort needs to be made no matter the circumstances. Also, maintaining an e-portfolio was new to me but eventually I got the hang of it. I am more familiar with Wix so figuring out blog spot took some time indeed. 

Observations

I observed that I take time to pick things up and that I am a slow learner and designer as opposed to everyone else. Well, that's how I have always been, slow. It was frustrating seeing everyone else be much ahead of me so I had to push myself extra hard to try and catch up. I could barely make proper progress within class time and I found this to be a common pattern within the first half of this semester. I used to feel demotivated because I was running behind but I wish I took this and used it as motivation to catch up faster than I did. Nonetheless I realized that even though I am a bit slow, it is not a bad thing and that comparing myself to others is a waste of time. Slow and steady wins the race and I feel like I embody this phrase as I am a perfectionist and I want things to be the way I intend it to. I noticed myself grow so much and it was all because of the pressure Mr Vinod and Mr Shamsul put on me, and for that I am super thankful. I am able to handle feedback in a positive manner and get things done when expected. I also observed how careful I was being regarding my blog as it was pretty horrible previously so I made sure I learnt from my mistakes. I developed better awareness for sure through this whole semester.

Findings

I found out how useful constructive criticism really is no matter how harsh it may seem. It is the truth and sometimes we need to face it head on in able to develop and horn our identity as a designer and as an individual as well. Mr Vinod is the most intimidating teacher I have ever had but I am very grateful that he pushed me to limits I never thought was possible. I am very satisfied overall at the improvement of my working pace and the way I was able to tackle on all the challenges that came by way. It is crazy and scary to think that there is so much more that goes to Typography which we have not touched on yet but despite this I am still very much looking forward to how intense next semester will be. I know that I will come out even more improved as it is a guarantee that harder obstacles will have to be faced much more effectively next time around and the way I go about this will determine how good of a designer I really am. Also, even if the spacing on the blog is accurate in blogger it may not transfer over to the actual blog so always be careful and be cautious about these small issues in the future.


Comments

Popular Posts