ANIMATION FUNDAMENTALS EXERCISES AND PROJECTS

14 April 2020 -  21 July 2020 ( week 1 - week 15  )
Ahmed Baahy Suhail (0333925)
Animation Fundamentals 
Exercises and Projects



INSTRUCTIONS 






EXERCISES   

Week 01
 Exercise 01

Our first task for this module was to create 6 characters using the basic fundamental shapes. Mr. Faizal, our module lecture encouraged us to take a simple and stylized approach. 



Fig 1.1: My 6 characters

Exercise 02

We were told to make a report based on our understanding of the principles of animation. 

 

Week 02
Exercise 03

After watching the character model sheet videos provided by our lecturer, we were required to create our own such sheet using one character of our choice. 

Fig 1.2: Character model sheet
Exercise 04

The six characters we previously made were meant to be all colored in to give them personality.

Fig 1.3: Characters colored




Week 03
Exercise 05 

Using our favorite character, we were told to create a turn around in GIF format. This 
Fig 1.3: Angles for character turn around 
Fig 1.4: Character turn around GIF
Week 04
Exercise 06

Our weekly task this time was to create 2 backgrounds for our character. 
Fig 1.5: Background 1


Fig 1.6: Background 2

Exercise 07

The next exercise given was to animate different motions of a ball bouncing/ moving. 
Fig 1.7: Ball bouncing like a rabbit

Fig 1.8: Ball bouncing
Fig 1.9: Ball moving side to side


This week, Mr. Faizal told us that there is more improvement to be made for our character, and said we should explore and rework our character completely if possible. I stuck to the same shape but I focused on creating a cute character with evil tendencies. Therefore, I used the color purple. 


Week 05 
Exercise 08 

Using our new character, we were told to proceed with a run and walk cycle. 

Fig 2.1: Walk cycle 
Fig 2.2: Run cycle

Week 6

After the run cycle was complete, we were told to implement that into one of the backgrounds we previously created. 

Fig 2.3: Character running with background 


PROJECTS

Week 07-8
Project 01

Our first project was to create a 5-second animation using our character doing any action of our choice. I decided to portray my character lighting a fire. I also made sure to implement the principles of animation when animating my character. 



Fig 3.1: Project 1 final 

Week 09
Project 02

Next project, we learned how to add lipsync to our characters. We were provided 3 dialogues from our lecturer and told to sync our characters lips to the given voice. 

Lipsync 1 draft 1

After doing one, I sent it to my lecturer to get feedback. He said that the motion does not make sense and encouraged all of us to exaggerate the motions of our characters to bring more emotion to the dialogue. To do this, he suggested that we should first record ourselves saying the dialogues to have a reference and get a better understanding. 

Week 10

Lipsync 1 final 


Lipsync 2 final


Lipsync 3 final 

Here are all the lipsyncs side by side with my own actions. 

Lipsync 1 final with reference video

Lipsync 2 final with reference video 

Lipsync 3 final with reference video 

FINAL PROJECT

Week 11-15

Our final project for this module was to create a 15-second animation portraying how people are during this Covid-19 outbreak. 

After brainstorming ideas for a while, I decided to base my animation on paranoia and also to stress the importance of washing your hands. 
Fig 4.1: Rough storyboard

As my storyboard was not that clear, Mr. Faizal told me to first make animatics so he can understand my idea better. 

Animatics for the final project


After showing the animatics to my lecturer, I was finally given the green light to proceed with the final animation.

I worked on the background first, and since it is a situation where my character rushes to wash hands, I chose to create a design for a toilet. 
Fig 4.2: Background design for final 

After that was complete, I worked on executing the final animation. Here is my final project outcome. 

 





Comments

Popular Posts