3D MODELING PROJECT 1

8 May 2020 -  5 June  2020 ( week 4 - week 8  )
Ahmed Baahy Suhail (0333925)
3D Modeling
Project 1



INSTRUCTIONS






PROJECT 1  Hard Surface Modeling


My idea for Project 1 is to create a robot that operated underwater. Therefore, I looked at inspiration and designs to figure out a suitable streamlined design for my model. 


Fig 1.1.: Inspiration


Fig 1.2: Sketch of idea


After my idea/ concept was approved, I started to work on the block out for my model in Autodesk Maya. 
    

Fig 1.3: Block out head


Fig 1.4: Block out head


Fig 1.5: Block out body 


Fig 1.6: Block out 


Fig 1.7: Block out side 


Fig 1.6: Block out three quarter view 


Fig 1.7: Block out front 


Fig 1.8: Silhouette


After the body was laid out, I started to work on the limbs.


Fig 1.9:  Working on arm 


Fig 2.1: Observing silhouette


Fig 2.2: Silhouette side


After one side was done. I used symmetry to mirror the arms and legs onto the other side.


Fig 2.3: Silhouette front 


After checking the silhouette, I realized that the model looked too narrow therefore I scaled it to be wider. 


Fig 2.4: Initial design front


Fig 2.5: Initial design back


Fig 2.6: Initial design close up 


Fig 2.7: Initial design close up 


Fig 2.7: Improved silhouette


Fig 2.8: Model side 


Mr. Kannan pointed out that my model is not balanced and that at its current state it will fall back. He also told me to change the posture by opening up the arms. 


Whilst working on my model, I noticed this problem, which I later realized was because the vertices were not connected properly. 


Fig 2.9: Problem


Fig 3.1: Problem


To fix the problem, I deleted the faces of the chest area and bridged them later.


Fig 3.1: Deleting faces


There was a similar problem with the shoulder as well so I repeated the process.


Fig 3.2: Deleting faces


Fig 3.3: Fixed shoulder


After locating all the inconsistencies, I proceeded to add details and started to bevel.


FIg 3.4: Beveling head


Fig 3.5: Refining feet


After the main body was done, I worked on the joints/ hinges of my robot. 


Fig 3.6: Adding details 


Fig 3.7: Wireframe 


Fig 3.8: Side view


Fig 3.9: Final silhouette 


Fig 4.1: Model om all angles 


After the model was complete, I had to extract the areas that I wanted to texture the same and assign lamberts to each extraction. 


Fig 4.2: Extraction process


Fig 4.3: Extraction process


Fig 4.4: Extraction process


After the extraction process was done, I had to UV all the different parts of the model I extracted


Fig 4.5: UV process


Fig 4.6: UV process


Fig 4.7: UV process


Fig 4.8: UV process


After UVing the extractions, I selected the whole model and exported it into Substance Painter to texture. 


Fig 4.9: Selection of final model 


In Substance Painter, I tested out different colors and ended up getting inspired by the color palette of Optimus Prime from Transformers, which is mainly red and blue.


Fig 5.1: Experimentation in Substance Painter


After I finalized the textures and colors, I proceeded to render my final outcome in Substance Painter itself. 

Figure 5.2: Final render


Figure 5.23Final render
Figure 5.4: Final render

Figure 5.2: Final render textures close up 



Figure 5.2: Final render textures close up 



Figure 5.5: Final render textures close up



Fig 5.6: Final render textures close up 



Here is my final outcome for Project 1.


Figure 5.2: Final A3 poster for Project 1





Comments

Popular Posts