DESIGN RESEARCH METHODOLOGY RESEARCH IMPLEMENTATION


18 October 2019 -  8 Nov 2019 (week 8 -  11)
Ahmed Baahy Suhail (0333925)
Design Research Methodology
Research Implementation



LECTURES



INSTRUCTIONS







RESEARCH IMPLEMENTATION

Week 8: Progress update

I did not have a confident approach regarding this stage so I asked Dr Hayati for her opinion on how I can go about the analysis. I had somewhat of a vague idea that I want to focus on qualitative analysis and visual analysis but did not decide on the instrumentation so Dr Hayati said to first think about that. For observation study, I said that I will observe existing folklore character design but was still unsure of the other things I can observe so she urged me to find whatever I can as Maldivian animation is very limited. She reassured by objectives so I can further understand what questions are needed.

Week 9: Progress update 

First draft of Research Implementation




Dr Hayati said that the title “Questionnaires” is not referring to online based interviews which was the intended qualitative analysis method so I changed the title. When she looked through my questions, there were a lot of questions that weren’t necessarily to be asked for a professional and could be directed towards locals so I suggested that I could create a questionnaire for locals to understand the appeal and their perspective on the current state of Maldivian identity. Dr Hayati said this is a good idea as I will have a background study which can further strengthen my research. Some questions were biased so she said to alter it in a neutral way and to consider variables that have been missed out on such as style of the characters. She said the best way to do this was to first reflect back on the work I have done so far in order to come up with clearer questions that contain what is necessary to be researched at this point of time. So by next class, I have to tweak my questions and create the two sets of questions for qualitative analysis. As for visual analysis, I have to look at instruments and identify the variables needed to be observed. Study the animations of the Maldivian creators and compare and contrast if possible.

Week 10: Progress update

I revised by questions and objectives and got them approved finally by Dr Hayati. Next step was proceeding to reach out to my target groups which are the general local public as well as the experts. I shared the google survey to the people closest to me such as a Maldivian friends and family, and since Maldives is a tight community, the survey started to get many responses. While the surveys were going around, I contacted all three experts. First I reached out to Ahmed Afazil as he is the husband of my cousin from my dads side, thus I did not have to follow a strict procedure to get his permission. I contacted him via Facebook messenger and got his approval and support for my project. I tried to find Yamin Rasheed’s gmail however since there was no trace of it I decided to contact him via Facebook and waited for his response. I also found Shafee Shafeeq, who was a character designer Ahme Afazil recommended me to contact. After doing some research on him, I found out that he has created his own versions of folklore characters, thus he was a perfect candidate for my research. Having found his email, I requested for permission and waited for his response.

Week 11: Progress update

For my survey, I managed to get over the required amount of respondents, however I wanted to test and see how many more I can get to take part in my survey so I kept urging people to share it around even to their parents and grandparents as this survey has no age limitations. While I let the responses grow, I checked in to my Gmail to see whether or not the experts have replied and both participants did and gave me permission to send the survey for them to answer in their free time. I expressed my gratitude and sent the interview question via google form and patiently waited for their answers. I checked back in to see the response rate for the survey to locals and I saw that it had reached 150 responses.



Screenshot of Survey

Screenshot of Online Interview

Here are the final slides for Research Implementation.







Comments

Popular Posts